Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Atomic Tuesday: White Light/White Heat

Photobucket

Welcome to Atomic Tuesday! Thanks to the few of you who let me know I forgot to do last week's Atomic Tuesday. Say wha?! Where was I, anyway? This somehow can be someone else's fault. Who can I blame? I know. It's those dang aliens again and their abduction tomfoolery. What a bunch of wisenheimers. That surely explains everything. And so, before anyone else gets... a Vulcan Mind Meld...?...or whatever the scifi space nerd term is for getting your memory zapped, let's move on, shall we?

Get a load of this a-MAY-zing Vintage 50's Atomic Bubble Light Novelty Print Dress, inspired by George Nelson's "Bubble Lamp" line for Howard Miller. Miller continued to sell the line through the 1970s, after which the lights were discontinued. It's apparently a vintage 1950s design & fabric, so you can imagine how rare a find this dress is!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look at that print!


Photobucket

Look at that light! This one is the George Nelson Bubble Cluster B-3-740. In 1970, the dealer price on this baby was $50. These lights are the epitome of mid-century modern design and are highly coveted by homeowners trying to get a little slice of 1960 heaven of their own. I know I'd sell my soul to get my hands on one, if I hadn't already sold it half a dozen times already for much lesser material possessions, like a clean pair of socks and a bag of Munchos.


Photobucket

This one is Bubble Lamp H-726. In 1970, the tripod stand cost an extra $4 through the dealer. Those were the days!

2 comments:

  1. Great items. You do always post some really hip stuff here. Hope your week started off well. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome print and I know I would sell my soul for that spider web skirt on your header!!!

    ReplyDelete