Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Way-Out Wednesday: Freebird

ng1

Today's Way-Out Wednesday is all about the owl. The stinking freaking owl. I'm seeing them everywhere, which is funny because I thought the whole owl trend was SO last year, so either the area I live in is much more behind the times than I figured (and I live in a college town, go figure) or those stinking freaking hipsters can't think of any other retro thing to to ironically make less cool so they stick with what they know. Or maybe the college hipsters around here are not very good at it. Whatever the reason, I can't really say I'm a fan. Not that I have anything against owls, they serve their purpose and all, what with teaching us about pollution (stupid hippie owls) and the proper way to eat a Tootsie Pop. And where would we be without the invention of the LOL cat (LOL owl?) picture that every hypernerd uses as his avatar that says "O RLY?"

Photobucket
(There ya go. This is what I mean, for you people with a life who don't spend 20 hours a day on the computer.)


So today we're rocking the owls one last time, a symbolic heave-ho, like a Viking funeral. You know, but...not. And anyway, these beauties I found aren't just any owls, not hipster owls (like those big honking necklaces and baby tees they buy at Claire's or Hot Topic or whatever stupid store they shop in to buy that crap). These owls are the real fugly/awesome deal, bona fide vintage 70's. And all wall hangings, so you can decorate your house extra pretty-like. Sigh. You're welcome, I'm sure.


Photobucket

I'm pretty sure this wooden owl family hate you.



Photobucket

MAN, I don't know what you did to piss off the owl community, but this angry couple hates you too.



Photobucket

Well that's better. These guys are a happy bunch, aren't they? And while I do luurve this color, lime green is...um, fitting? for owls. Actually, I think this green couple ate some bad field mice. I feel sorry for the guy who parked his car under these guys.





The first rule of Flight Club is: you do not talk about Flight Club. Second rule: never, under any circumstances, participate in Flight Club activities after dropping acid.




Photobucket

These two owl babysitters, all alone on the 40 acre farm, were in an utter state of panic and shock when they discovered the call was coming from inside the barn.






"So then after dinner, he says he "forgot" the concert tickets up in his apartment and we just need to run up there for a minute to grab them. So we go up to his apartment and...shh, hold on a second Francine...umm, excuse me? Can I help you with something or are you just gonna pretend you're not listening in on our conversation?...I swear Francine, humans are the rudest. Anyway, like I was saying, we're up in his apartment and..."







"Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

9 comments:

  1. I love these posts... really cheers up my Wednesdays. Love the lol-owl (?!). So weird and mind-bendy.

    Also, I totally admire you for having "regular programming" type posts (weird wednesdays, atomic tuesdays, etc.). I briefly considered doing that with my blog, but my schedule is too random.

    P.S. You have the most amazing Etsy shop ever. I need to make some money, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you so much for the compliment, Diana! You just totally just made MY wednesday!

    I think the theme days work for me because my mind never shuts off and there's always something rattling around up there! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and have to write it down. Plus, I just love themes!

    Now if only I could use that power to become a millionaire, I could dominate the world! Mwyuahahaha! Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My late grandmother loved owls. She had a whole bunch of owl stuff in her house. All of this reminds me of this stupid owl that seems to love to get outside of my bedroom and make a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Keith, what IS it about grandmothers and collecting owls? Mine did too- and I know of at least 2 other people whose GM collected them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny I should read about owls because I woke up to the sound of an owl this morning. Whooo ... hoo... hoo...

    Plus I made a macrame owl some years ago. It was a gift for my aunt and it was awesome! Although I'm not sure where it is these days. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the macrame owl was a must-have back in the day! Until it got old and dried out and the macrame "rope" cording started to shed. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You left out yarn owls! My youngest has a good example in her room now--she found it at a thrift shop check it out

    I love your blog btw. I came over here from Monkey Muck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya, Bubs!
    Yep, yarn owls are equally fug and awesome! Seems like the thrift store is where they all go to die!


    (And tell Monkey that I said thanks for the new recruits!) :)

    Thanks for stopping in and joining in the ridiculousness here! I love seeing new faces!

    ReplyDelete