Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Atomic Tuesday: To Serve Man.

Welcome to Atomic Tuesday!





I found thee coolest buffet on Etsy today. There are 2 reasons I'm not hoarding it for myself like the obsessive hoardy-pants that I am. Because:

A.) I'm nowhere even remotely close to Forth Worth, Texas to pick it up in person.

And

B.) I bet the shipping cost to haul this sucker is ridonkulous. Plus I'm way frugal and can talk myself out of most big purchases if I don't absolutely *need* it. Hell, I talk myself out of $9 shoes from Payless.

But if you're in need of a swell vintage buffet and/or live near Forth Worth and/or are a Mr. and/or Mrs. Moneybags and can shell out the clams for shipping, may I submit to your approval, this:


Vintage 50's Atomic Starbursts Buffet Server Table




It's not in perfect shape (hence the $100 price tag), the seller's pictures are not phenom and there's alot of crazy going on with it (makes me wonder how much of it is original and how much has been added/altered?). So I'll explain in short sentences:




Aqua glitter laminate top has black starbursts.




Faux marble clock front. (Really, you ask?! Really. How deliciously odd and unnecessary. My 2 favorite things.) Etched glass sliding doors.




Green sides/front drawers have gold dots and black starbursts.


See what I mean? Lots of crazy- but that's why I dig it! Am I crazy? Have I lost all sense of cool? Am I void of good taste? Probably. But what do you think?

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE it and now I wish I lived in Fort Worth. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kray-Zee. That would look great in my diner kitchen, but I'm stuffed with furniture already. I suspect those sliding glass doors were added int he 1970's...they don't have the same 'feel' as the rest of the cabinet. Don't know about the marble and clock either. Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kray-zee. That would look great in my diner kitchen, but I'm already stuffed with furniture. I suspect those sliding glass doors were added in the 1970s...they don't have the same 'feel' as the rest of the cabinet. Not sure about that marble clock, either. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh! If you are crazy then I am crazy. I dig it! Ft. Worth is only a few hours away so this is tempting. Or I could get my friend who lives there to pick it up and store it until I figure out how to sneak it in the house without my brother noticing, cause he would hate this. This is oh so very tempting.
    ~Christine H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a find! ANd WOW, again! Your title reminds me of my all-time favorite episode of The Twilight Zone! Long story, short-- if you aren't familiar with this particular installment: Aliens lands on Earth, toting a BIG Book with all the "answers" and promising to be helpful to the cause of humanity. A code breaker person begin to translate the book, which has the seemingly innocuous title, To Serve Man. ***SPOILER*** Just as Earthlings are boarding the spaceship to a "better world," the decoding scientist shouts out," STOP! IT"S A COOKBOOK!" Too, late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Its bonkers!

    How much is the shipping to the U of K?

    (I'm kidding here, btw. I'm not that bonkers).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, owie! It hurts to look at it because I know I can't have it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man I love it! I really love it! No hope getting it the UK that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow this is so cool .
    Simply perfect ,
    Well no its not perfectly perfect ,
    while I live in Texas
    I am not close to Ft.Worth :(
    oh well
    other than its location it totally rocks !
    Thanks for the fabulous
    atomic treat this Tuesday .
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Miss Kim, anything with starburst laminate is alright by me!
    Plus...I 100% AGREE with SparkleFarkle-if it can conjure up an image of a twilight Zone Episode sign me up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kind of want it just because I live near Ft. Worth! idk what i'd do with it though i live in a tiny furnished dorm siiiiiiiigh. Where at though!? perhaps i'll get it for my future apt. i like your blog btw! ky000000t

    ReplyDelete