Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Way-Out Wednesday: Cry, Cry, Cry

Photobucket



Welcome to this very..."special?"...well, that's not it exactly...more like "creepy"..."disturbing"...and "not kosher" edition of Way-Out Wednesday. I didn't pick out a mass collection-o-things today, no groups of fugly/awesome vintage crap with a theme. No, today is an extra special day, a day full of sadness, despair and woe, for I may have found *thee* most depressing and wrist-slashingest toy for little girls. I give you: Little Miss No Name:





Photobucket

??? WHAT...??? THE...??? HELL...??? Is she an orphan? Rail-riding hobo? Why is she wearing burlap? What happened to the whites of her eyes? Is she a zombie? Is she looking for a handout? A subway token? Does she need a quarter so she can call someone who cares? Is she feeling funky with her bad self and looking for someone to "slip her some skin"? Does she want you to read her palm? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, DIRTY LITTLE STREET URCHIN? WHAT DO YOU WANT?! FOR THE LOVE OF A SANDWICH, TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT FROM ME! ...... You know what? Fine. Don't tell me. I don't care. You can be a classically-trained performance artist student from Juilliard playing an 18-year old hooker for all I care. That is just so typical of today's youth, looking for someone to just give them money, not working for anything they've got, spoiled rotten trust fund jerks. I'm glad I didn't give her a sandwich after all. The joke's on YOU, hungry orphan! Good day to you. I SAID GOOD DAY TO YOU.

Let's get a closeup of little Mary Kate's hobo face, shall we?:

Photobucket

Nice tear, Cry Baby. Where'd you get that, prison?


You know, I would love to meet the super genius who invented this. Did he walk into a meeting one day and pitch this great idea of a doll that's been abandoned by her parents and left to fend for herself on the mean city streets wearing nothing but a potato sack for clothing?:

"I got a feeling about this one, Mr. Big. Trust ol' Marty, I wouldn't let you down again, not after last month's bomb: "Suicide Susie." Little girls will love this doll. They can relate. I don't have a name picked out for it yet, but so what, kids don't care about catchy name. I obviously know kids. Just call her...Little Miss No Name. That'll do. It's a sure-fire hit. It'll give those Cabbage Patch bastards a run for their money. What could go wrong?"

This was an actual doll released by Hasbro in '65, and I'm sure you'll be surprised to know it wasn't produced long. Shocking. Also weird is that it stands 15 inches tall! I imagined her being a wee little waif, but no. She's a BIG ol' sad thing. I wonder: does anyone remember Little Miss No Name? (And yes, that really is what the doll is called.) I rather like it, but then again, I like creepy things... that may come to life in the middle of the night, climb down off its shelf and kill you in your sleep. Now that I think of it, no wonder her parents abandoned her. I'm onto you! Foiled again, Little Miss No Name!





"Cry, Cry, Cry" by Johnny Cash.

9 comments:

  1. OMG what a crazy doll!! Maybe her and Chucky can ride the rail roads together picking up other way out dolls along the way!! Seriously though how are you going to top this on way outness???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha haha, I forgot about Chucky!

    I don't think Wednesdays will ever be the same after a crying hobo orphan doll. I'm not sure I can top it, so we're just gonna have to lower our standards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the creepiest doll ever! I find it funny that all of the questions that pooped in my head after first viewing this doll were the same ones you put in this post. The most intriguing one to me is WHY is she wearing burlap?! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's really creeping me out. Yikes. I'd hate to wake up and have that thing staring at me in the dark of night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously creepy. I would *love* to know what the marketing was behind this thing! (I still kinda want it, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim: In the next frame, her face splits in what can only be called a smile, lips stretching thinly. What teeth she has are as red as her eyes. Her voice is nothing but a high pitched, sing-song whisper. You lean close, listening, then recoil in horror as she repeats over and over, her eyes bright and shining - You must play with me, yesss, yessss . . ." -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dolls creep me out in general, but this one is especially horrifying. I'm wondering whether those horribly sad Keane paintings back in the 60s were the inspiration for inventing such an abomination. With those strange reptilian eyes, she reminds me of an alien from another planet who will implant a chip in your brain while you sleep. She will definitely haunt my dreams tonight.

    My compliments to you on discovering such a terrifically terrifying find for your Way Out Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HAD THIS THING! And so many people complained about her (I kept it on the back of the toilet seat and found it drowned more than once) that I gave it to my only friend who liked it. I swear to God it came to life and sucked the breath from babies.

    just looking at it gives me the shudders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sparkle~ you HAD this hideous wonder? I both envy and feel sad for you!

    ReplyDelete