Monday, October 27, 2008

Werewolves Of London

W is for Winnie embedded in ice.

Photobucket


W is also for Addams, Wednesday Addams. The poster child for 'tween goths-in-training.

Photobucket

Generally you know I'm all: "Remakes are tragic and I do not approve of them, sir". But that being said, I actually think the cast was brilliant in the Addams Family movies of the early 90's. The new Pugsley was WAY less...how can I say this nicely about a fat kid...corpulent?...than the original Pugsley from the 60's TV series. Plus, I'm pretty sure the extreme horribleness of the original Pugsley is what killed JFK. I'm not 100%, I'm just sayin', is all. And lest us not forgot the new Wednesday, played by that little chunk of delicious oddness Christina Ricci, was way terrif. Addams Family gets mad props for doing a remake that didn't actually suck. Unlike the fools from the Beverly Hillbillies movie, you slackers.

Photobucket

Remember when goth kids of the 80's and into the early 90's) were sort of scary and awesome? I think the goth kids these days- well, what's left of them anyway, they're a dying breed of miscreants, and that is sad- missed the meeting about how to dress the part because they have it ALL WRONG. It's really quite embarrassing. Lip Service bondage pants and an Insane Clown Posse tee shirt is BLASPHEMY, goth kids.
What happened to goth girls wearing vintage Victorian mourning dresses and granny boots and vintage 60's slips dyed black and long black opera gloves and such?! Granted, this was at a time when you could find this kind of vintage at thrift stores relatively easy, but still, there is no excuse to shame your clique with Hot Topic apparel. Leave that for the-and I emphasize the quotation marks-"punk kids".

If you're gonna walk the walk, then dammitall, do it right and stop making sweet baby jebus weep with yer fashion sinnin'. You know who's bringing Victorian goth back? My homie 4life Ang of Dorothea's Closet Vintage. She isn't really bringing it back (you're not, are you Ang?) and I'm sure she's cringing, what with my saying she's like the mecca for goth kids. But 'tis true. Her site has some pretty serious much older vintage garb for the all-growns-up goth kid who want to dress like they stepped out of a Richard Burton movie. She knows how to party like it's 1899.

Witness:









* "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon.

1 comment:

  1. Ang. does have some great goth stuff. I hate goth though, too effin sad and melodramatic for me. I choose life damnit, I want to be happy! Well, about 85% of the time anyways.

    Hot Topic can lick me.

    Yeah, I remember the days when goth was GOTH, a fascinating life style. I even dated an old schooler goth gal once. I dumped her after like 3 dates though, too damn sad for me.

    ReplyDelete