Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Way-Out Wednesday: Pretty Poison

Welcome to Way-Out Wednesday!

Photobucket


Today's vintage pick for Way-Out Wednesday isn't weird, strange or a creepy-ass clown or doll. But it's pretty damn cool and something I didn't realise I would neeeeed until I saw it. And now I love things... that hide other things. Secret compartments! I guess some 'splainin' is in order. You guys know what poison rings are, right? (Think: the way medieval Tony Soprano-style goons got, well, medieval on their enemies' asses and "bumped them off" by slipping 'em a mickey that was cleverly hidden in their ring?) Well, how's about a poison brooch?!...


Photobucket

It's disguised as an unobvious and dainty lil daisy and you're all like "whatever, daisy pin". But wait! It's not sweet and harmless. It's a poison daisy! And that, my friends, is fantastic.


Photobucket

See? Poison time! I suppose the conventional and sappy thing to do would be to keep a picture of your sweetie pie in there, or a lock of hair ... but who wants that? I prefer the noir-y dramatics of imagining some jilted lover bumping off her two-timin' man! (What? Is that wrong?)

The Vintage Daisy Poison Pin of Doom (ok, FINE, picture holder) is currently available for $8 (!) on Etsy from seller Denisebrain. Knock 3 times, ask for Maggie, then tell her Little Red sent you to "take care of the ol' ball and chain." She'll hook you up.



7 comments:

  1. Love it, Lil' Red! I think the thing was actually holding perfume at one time, but I down with the poison theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the Daisy secret compartment was for all that Valium? You know.."don't leave home without it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shhhh! You weren't supposed to reveal our secret poison plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading that in the 20s flappers would wear gold boxes on a chain to keep their cocaine in! You never know what your "lockets" have been used for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could hold: Adderal + Zanax = the paying attention, but don't care what you are saying cocktail..lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use a poison brooch from time to time.
    It's drop dead gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete