Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Way-Out Wednesday: The Cinco De Mayo Edition!

Welcome to a special edition of Way-Out Wednesday for Cinco de Mayo!

Photobucket



When I was searching for something kickass for today's Mexican theme, I didn't feel like schlepping through a million Day of the Dead items on etsy, and besides, that wasn't exactly what I was looking for anyway. I wanted something vintage and a little "out there", you know? I wanted something little. Yellow. Different. (If you're under the age of 30 you probably won't get that random tv commercial reference.) So's then I think I find the something I was looking for. But I was all "Why the fark would someone paint a luchador mask on a vintage hairdresser's bust?! What a friggin' moron." But after seeing more pictures of it, I realised that it was was something completely different. It was awesomeness.


Behold, my amigos, this Vintage Mexican Luchador Chalkware Bust:


Photobucket

Ay, dios mio! This is so cool. I loves me some vintage chalkware and I know you guys do too, but this is totally out of my realm. It seems roughly 1950s to me, judging by the face and the "Mexico" signature, but chalkware can be hard to date and looks pretty much the same from the 50's to the 70's, so I could be way off. Whatevs. Either way, it's strange and unusual and being as though I myself am strange and unusual, I love this thing! (Another random movie reference for you. Sorry. That's enough.)


Even has great detailing to the back!...

Photobucket


I wonder if anyone has info about busts like this? (I just said "busts like this", heh heh heh.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sure is something I've never seen before! :O Interesting that the eyes are so BLUE...

    ReplyDelete
  2. NACHO LIBRE "Lives",Jack Black- in infinity--Sure is a strange piece- I agree- never saw anything like that!

    ReplyDelete