Friday, March 26, 2010

Aqua Blue Heaven Friday: Strangers On A Train.

Photobucket


For today's Aqua Blue Heaven Friday pick, I found this great Vintage 50's Aqua Travel Case, on Etsy from seller Room For Cake.


Photobucket

I'm calling it a "train case", because I said so. Also, because there's something very old school romantic about travelling by train, wearing your platform heels and rayon dress, Vogue magazine tucked under one arm and carrying aboard a vanity case holding your lipstick and cigarette case and whisky flask (you know, the essentials), perhaps with a handsome, fedora-wearing gent at your side...Dreamy, right? Or sometimes trains can be evil and murderous, according to Hitchcock's 1951 movie plot to Strangers on a Train. Come to think of it, modern train travel isn't glamorous or romantic at all. In fact, it's pretty damn uncomfortable and smelly. So I guess Hitchcock's version is more accurate than my fruity fairytale version. Well that's a buzzkill, isn't it? Let's just make like Mr. Rogers and pretend it's all wacky hijinks like Marilyn and the crazy kids in Some Like It Hot instead.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. What a fun coincidence, we rented Some Like It Hot the night before last! Your train case has me wanting to glamorously ride the rails (<--No hobo stew for me!)! A while back, my daughter Puppet and I threw ourselves an Alfred Hitchcock marathon party, but somehow, we truly missed the boat, as Strangers on a Train wasn't part of our selection. The TRAILER (watch it here: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2223374617/ <-- "Fibers of fate weave this startling adventure!") AND your heads up has me intrigued. Hopefully, I can rent the DVD. P.S. If they did a remake of S on a T, Bill Murray would definitely make a good Robert Walker (Bruno Anthony) replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that train case!

    You are right about modern train travel - It sucks. We once took Amtrak from north Georgia to Tuscon, Arizona, and by the time we got there we were climbing the walls! We even tried to book a flight back home but couldn't make the connections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I love that train case. So cool! I haven't been by in a while. Need to catch up on blog reading.

    Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific train case! I like "train case" better too, and Strangers on a Train is one of my favorite Hitchcock films. And we just watched Some Like It Hot a couple weeks ago... and I am picturing your version of train travel even as we speak, er, as I type.

    Criss cross, anyone? *laughs evilly*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Movie is my Absolute Fav..I hunted it down on VHS a long time ago- now I have to find it on DVD..
    I was contemplating a train trip down to Florida- but it takes 26 hours..even with the new Acella Trains, get this - the price of the train is more than a three hour plane ride non-stop flight on SW!
    I love the color Aqua...and that case is adorable! Have a great weekend Kim and all!

    ReplyDelete