Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Way-Out Wednesday: Going To The Chapel...Then Straight Into Time-Out



To quote the Princess Bride: "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethaw today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah…"

Now, you all know I appreciate kitsch as much as anyone can. And while I tend to mock the 70's mercilessly, I will admit I do have a certain appreciation, even an affinity, for the era. I "get" that a lot of the era was all about grooving on child-like wonder and youth and innocence and all that happy horseshit. For example: Do you remember those godawful drinking glasses popular at the time that had a picture of a naked boy & girl on them, just holding hands, with a "Love Is..." phrase? Yeah, those sucked. I know it was all perfectly innocent and no one even gave them a second thought back them about it being weird. Ok, I get it. No big whoop. But by today's standards, they're horribly creepy. And even though they're a thing of the past and vintage at this point, you'd think I'd appreciate their retro cheesiness by now and appreciate their camp factor. But no. I don't. And can't.

And you'd think that there couldn't be anything creepier than naked kids. But somehow, I think there is. I give you this Way-Out Wednesday vintage find...




1970's engagement wrapping paper ... of kids. Making. Out. Why are these munchkins getting engaged anyway?! Is this Kentucky? Is the dating pool that shallow that you have to drag your own brother into matrimony before he hits puberty?

Does this rate high on the skeeved out-o-meter, or am I just overreacting? Is this actually really delightful and wonderful and I can't appreciate it's splendor because I'm an over thinking, overreacting grinch?



(Aww...cute?)

1 comment:

  1. I swear I think my mom has some of that stuff somewhere from when she and my dad were young. Ha ha!

    Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

    ReplyDelete