Friday, October 17, 2008

Night of the Werewolf

N is for Neville who died of ennui.

Photobucket

N is also for Nightmare Before Christmas.

I will admit I'm a total Nightmare Before Christmas dork- the movie, for me, ranks right up there with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Loser-y? Perhaps. But nerds are the ones who keep this country functioning- in medicine, computers, technology, science. So suck on THAT cool kids. Nerds of the world unite!

Photobucket

I saw TNBC when it first came in '93. I was in 11th grade and my friends and I ditched school to go to the mall to see it. The usual rabble you'd expect to ditch class were there- the goths, the punks, the skateboarders. All the usual suspects of non-conformity who were pissed-off-at-the-world-because-no-one-understands-me-that's-why-I-dye-my-hair-blue-and-draw-skull and crossbones-on-my-trapper-keeper were there, smoking and smuggling in beer cleverly disguised in Aqua Net bottles. Remember the days when you could annoy and slowly kill your fellow mall patron with secondhand smoke? Those were the days.

After the movie I distinctly remember going to Burger King because they were giving away Nightmare Before Christmas watches in the happy meals and we had to have them. I still have mine. I held onto it because deep down, I know it would be worth millions one day on ebay, right up there with Dale Earnhardt Jr. coffee mugs and Precious Moments figurines. I'm no fool. My watch needs a new battery, but I'm too busy to replace it, doing Very Important Things. The Miller High Life doesn't buy itself, you know.

Witness the wonder of the plastic watch:

Photobucket

Good news for my fellow geeks, The Nightmare Before Christmas will be playing in 3-D starting on October 19th for 3 weeks. Sa-WEET. If you click the NBC link at the top ^^ up there ^^, it'll take you the movie site, so's you can find out of it's playing near you. Sadly, it's not playing in my podunk town. Those movie jerks. So I might have to head to your podunk town. Call me. We'll have popcorn and Cherry Slushees, no big whoop.

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment