Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Monster Mash

You should know that October is my most favorite of months, not only because of crunchy leaves and pumpkin pies and all that Martha Stewart-y happy horseshit, but largely due to the Halloween factor, what with all the strange and unusual. I myself am strange and unusual and it's only fitting that I punish you all with an entire month's worth of blogging devoted to things of creepiness and weirdness and whateverthehellelse.

If you've never heard of the writer Edward Gorey, I demand you look into him. He's known for his grim illustrations and penchant for bleakness, and if Wikipedia is right (which it rarely is), it claims he was also a pop culture junkie, so he might have been my soul mate or BFF 4-Evr. You know, maybe if he wasn't born, like, 50 years before I was. Anyhow, he wrote an awesomely wicked and wonderful book in 1963 called The Gashlycrumb Tinies. The interesting thing about the book is that you'd never in a million years guess it was from '63, what with it's very modern "humor" and Emily Strange-esque charm. A simple book, Gorey tells the tale of 26 children from A to Z (each representing a letter of the alphabet, like A is for Amy, etc.) on each page and their untimely demise. Reading is fundamental, suckas!

So starting tomorrow and for the next 25 after that (give or take a day, due to either my forgetting to blog or giving-in to slack), I'm going post a Gorey illustration a day and do an alphabet game of my own, Halloween-style.

Photobucket

(Dude, you KNOW I'm corny, don't front like you're suprised.)

1 comment:

  1. Somehow this blog got away from me! How dare I!!!

    Love the idea now that I get it. Very creative.

    you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete