Friday, May 23, 2008

Beyond The Sea

I'm not one to get sentimental...or even show any emotions for that matter (besides bitchy) because I am half robot and all, but at the risk of sounding like a stupid girl, this weekend marks a neat-o landmark in time for me. This Memorial Day weekend will have been exactly 10 years since The Ball and Chain proposed in a not-very-dramatic-or-romantic-or-even-clever way. Roses, candlelit dinner and horse-drawn carriage ride? Fools. I'm a lucky gal, I get proposed to all casual-like after playing pool. PLAYING POOL, which is far from what dreams are made of.

Our Big Moments In Life have luckily always been captured on film, such as the very first second we met a friend of ours happened to take a picture of us at that split second, and how many people can say they have a picture of the second they met their very own ball and chain? And this picture, taken a minute before he finished playing this game, after which he set the cue down and asked me to marry him.

Photobucket

The man redeemed himself by giving me the coolest vintage ring set I ever laid eyes on and that did in fact make me shed a tear or 2, which is odd because robots don't cry. It went exactly like this, said in a tone like he was asking me if I wanted the last Coke from the fridge:

Ball and Chain: "So whaddya think, wanna get married?"
Me: "Umm, OK."

Here's the serendipitous part. I love serendipity! I also love Serendipity starring John Cusack! Just this morning I was flipping through a bunch of old Better Homes and Gardens and Vogue magazines from the 40's and 50's learning how to build a better bomb shelter and 100 Ways to Use Spam. Reading old magazines is what I do quite a bit when the computer is having a seizure and not functioning and reading a real book is too much of a commitment.

Lo and behold, I found the 1947 ad in Time magazine for my wedding ring set. My rings are bit different than the 4 pictured, but mine are Keepsake, and don't be fooled by the rocks that I got, my diamonds are smaller, which of course figures because why would I ever in my lifetime get huge diamonds? But is that not an amazing amazement? Are you perplexed and mystified as well? And on the same weekend I get proposed to exactly 10 years ago?! Coincidence? Government plot? The world may never know.

Photobucket

Behold!

Photobucket

Shazam! My glorious finger!

Photobucket

I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful set, it really is.


    Damnit, Im such an ass.....

    ReplyDelete